Thursday, November 30, 2017

Perspective


            An Indian anthropologist studied a tribe called the Asu. The tribe worshipped a rare, strong, bull-like creature called the “Rac”. From the outside looking in, the rac is only detrimental to the tribe. It breeds at such a rapid rate, overcrowding is becoming a problem. The tribe spends excessive amounts of money and effort to pave roads for the racs to walk on. To make matters worse, the racs are prone to racing and crashing into each other. Since only a few people in the community have the right training and selection of charms, treating the rac is expensive. Through all of this, the Asu people still see the rac as essential to their tribe. At the age of sixteen, it’s seen as a rite of passage to appeal to a high priest and receive a rac. In fact, wealthy families own herds of racs to display their prestige. Members of the society without a rac are considered lower esteem.

            After reading this story, most of you would agree that the Asu tribe would be better off without the rac. Most people read the story of the Asu and can easily rattle off different plans of action to help the tribe. Without even knowing the full history of the rac in the tribe, we immediately start to judge them or make up ways to “fix” them.


            Well, the Asu tribe and the rac are not real. When spelled backwards, “Asu” is “USA” and “rac” is “car”. The first time I heard this, it took me a minute, but everything matched up. America spends millions of dollars paving roads for our cars to drive on, car service is expensive since there aren’t many shops, and cars are consistently racing and crashing into each other. Wealthy people show off their social stature by owning collections of lavish cars while people who don’t own cars are often seen as lower class. It’s even expected that we get a license and a car when we turn sixteen. It’s easy to see a problem in someone else, but it’s hard to see the same issue in yourself. For example, I turned 16 a little over a month ago now. On my birthday, I was expected to get my license and a car soon after. In my mind, I need a car. I need to travel to school and to all of my extra-curricular activities and the only way I can do this is with a car. However, someone may argue that I could bike to school, which is safer, or I could ride a bus to my extra-curriculars, which is better for the environment. Even with all of the alternatives and disadvantages of having a car, I’m still convinced that it’s the best option for me. The story of the rac is meant to show us that it’s easy to see the faults in other people, groups, and societies, but hard to see the problems in our own daily lives.  

Link to original story: www.drabruzzi.com/sacred_rac.html

2 comments:

  1. The rac asu story is eye opening. It's true that we often easily spot out beneficial changes in others (or other groups of people) while we would not make them ourselves. A lot of people know that this is true, but a story like the rac asu one makes us realize how wide reaching it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story telling was convincing enough that I didn't realize what you were talking about until the reveal. I definitely agree with you that the value Americans put on cars in detrimental. I remember reading something that said: a developed country is not one where everyone owns a car, but one where even the richest people use public transportation.

    ReplyDelete

Perspective

            An Indian anthropologist studied a tribe called the Asu. The tribe worshipped a rare, strong, bull-like creature called the “...